If your cat vomits hairballs and you’re worried because you don’t know how you can help it, keep reading because in this OneHOWTO article we’ll tell you how to malt a cat.
How To Malt A Cat?
Steps to follow:
- First of all you should know what is malt for cats. Malt is a very dense paste similar to honey that is generally composed of animal fats, oils, fiber, yeast and dairy products. It is sold in different forms: in a tube, in oil or as prizes. The most recommended is the tube format, since the malt comes in the form of paste and you can better control the amount of malt you are giving your cat.
2. It is important to know the proper dose of malt for a catwhich will be the size of an almond each time it is given.
For short-haired cats, it will be administered 2 times a week and it will suffice, however for those with long hair 4 per week. You do not have to give it every day since you could get an effect contrary to what you want to obtain.
3. surely you wonder how to malt a cat, in the most effective way so that you can benefit from it and thus avoid problems with hairballs and other problems related to the intestines. Luckily, there are different ways to get him to eat the malt.
Since kitties are obsessed with cleanliness, you can use this to your advantage. You can put the malt in one of its front legs and his instinct will be to lick it. However, this is what most do, but there are also cats that rub it off somewhere, such as the sofa or a carpet, as it will depend a lot on whether they like the taste and texture or not.
4. If the above instruction didn’t work, you can try spread some malt in the feed and offer it to him. Many cats, due to the texture that it leaves on the feed, bother them when they put it in their mouths and do not eat it. If they reject it at first, we can wait a few hours for them to get hungrier and try again, as it is sometimes more effective when they are hungry.
5. Some cats like malt so it will be enough to simply spread it on your finger and offer it to him. The cat will eat the malt by licking your finger or directly from the container, as you can see in the images. However, remember to control the amount you give each time and not overdo it.
6. But which ones are the best? types of malts for cats? If you want to offer your cat the best malt, we explain what the different types are.
the best is the malt paste as it is the healthiest and helps you supplement your diet. Malt in the form of oils It will also be a good choice, since in addition to helping to expel hairballs, it is more easily absorbed and, therefore, it helps even more to optimal growth of fur and nails. There is an enriched malt that improves intestinal transit and also has properties to prevent infections. Lastly, there is also the malt for cats in the form of treats It provides more vitamins and minerals.
7. Malt can be provided in combination with a special grass for cats, catnip or catnip which also helps prevent the accumulation of hairballs in the intestine. Although they can be combined, it is not necessary to give your cat both products so that it has a good coat, healthy skin and does not accumulate hairballs.
You should not abuse either of the two, because if you do you could cause diarrhea in the cat. It is recommended to consult a veterinarian nearby to give you the best instructions.
8. After taking malt and/or catnip it is easy that if it had hairballs accumulated in the intestines, after a while, the cat vomits.
On cat vomit, you will be able to observe the compacted hairballs. If the cat vomits more than twice a day you will have to start worrying and look for other signs that it could be sick, such as its swollen abdomen, if your cat drools a lot, if it gasps, if the vomit has blood, if it smells bad or if your pet is listless and drinks too much or too little water. These are not normal signs that the cat is expelling hairballs, but that something else is wrong, so in this case you will have to go to the veterinarian as soon as possible with a sample of the vomit if possible so that it can be make a good diagnosis and treatment.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to malt a cat we recommend that you enter our Pets category.
For more information on cats related articles simply visit our CatsBuz website.