How to scold a puppy cat? Cats are hunting animals par excellence, which is why their instinct leads them to behave as such even in domestic environments. However, there are strategies that can be applied to ensure that the animal manages to integrate into the home in a harmonious way, without forgetting that no matter how much education it receives, it will always be an independent pet.
If you have a cat that is very young, it is easier for it to learn to interact with its owners, with the space around it and with other pets, if that is the case, since it will be more willing to learn than an adult cat whose habits They are already more entrenched. At OneHowTo.com we share some information so you know how to scold a puppy cat and learn what it takes to behave.
How to scold a puppy cat: Steps to follow
1. The first thing you should know is that the cat’s hunting instincts cannot be changed, they can only be tamed in such a way that their behavior adapts to the rules of the home, but there are basic gestures that they will always perform, such as scratching. The important thing here is not to teach him not to scratch because that behavior is inevitable and instinctive, but to do it in a place where he cannot harm others or himself.
For it, you can scold your puppy cat using a vertical scratcher or a specific object so that he understands that it is there where he can give free rein to the desire to use his claws. If you see him scratching some other object in the house, interrupt him and take him to the vertical scratcher, and when he tries to use his claws on you, separate him from your body in a firm but non-violent way and walk away from him calmly. In this way he will understand that his behavior is not accepted.
At OneHowTo we tell you how teach a cat not to scratch furniture.
2. Due to its independent character, it is more difficult to make an adult cat understand that it should relieve himself in the litter box. That is why it is vital to take advantage of when he is still a puppy so that he adopts this habit. You can start by taking the cat to the litter box every time he finishes eating or playing, since these are the times when he might feel like relieving himself, and thus he will progressively learn that this is the place in which which must expel its waste. Of course, cats are very neat animals, so you should keep the box clean since if they find it dirty they will avoid being in it and it will be more difficult to reeducate them later.
If the cat expels its waste outside the box, clean the area quickly to prevent the animal from linking its scent to the place it used to eliminate. Instead, move his droppings to the litter box for a moment so he understands that this is the place to do it, then you have to leave it spotless.
At OneHowTo we tell you how teach your cat to use the litter box.
3. The eating habits that are taught to the cat can positively or negatively influence its behavior. If the puppy does not receive the food on time or in adequate quantities, it will use its hunting instinct to locate it and this can cause it to tear the garbage bag in search of food remains or become aggressive with its owner because it does not feel cared for. he.
In addition, you have to buy special food for kittens since it has nutritional needs adapted to the age of the feline. Although, if it is less than 15 days old, you should give it milk every 3 hours so that it grows strong and healthy. In this other OneHowTo article we tell you how feed a gato baby.
4. Another instinctive behavior of the cat is to climb to high places, so it will try to climb on windows, cabinets, tables and sofas. In this case, the best way to scold a puppy cat is to buy him some special furniture for cats with several levels for him to play while going up and down, or take an old chair or piece of furniture and leave it to the cat to use for this purpose. When the cat begins to climb somewhere in the house, you have to move it to its toy or piece of furniture so that it learns that it is allowed to climb there.
5. Although some people use the water spray to scold kittens, the reality is that it is an extreme resource that should be avoided. Spraying the cat with water every time you want to teach him something or as a way of reprimanding him will only make him more fearful of his owner, slowing down the learning process. Also, the cat can react aggressively.
In this other article we give you some techniques that will show you how train a puppy cat so you know some tricks that will help you in your goal.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to scold a puppy catwe recommend that you enter our Pets category.
For more information on cats related articles simply visit our CatsBuz website.