So if you want to know how to take care of a baby cat we recommend you keep reading because in this OneHOWTO article we tell you everything, so that with these tips you can make your little feline grow up happy.
The arrival home of the baby cat and its care
Have you ever wondered how to care for an abandoned or weaned baby cat? Here we give you some advice for the arrival of the kitten at home and its care:
When you adopt a small cat, it will surely be shy, since it does not know where it is. Do not worry and give him time to get acquainted with his new home.
- It is important that the temperature is adequate since a small cat needs a higher temperature than an adult cat. To provide the right temperature you can place it in a box with blankets or in a bed or igloo that is in a quiet place without drafts.
- A very frequent question is also how long it takes for a baby cat to adapt to its new home. Well, if you notice that your puppy is scared or is hiding, don’t worry, surely little by little he will approach you and lose his fear. It is important that you do not go behind him to catch him if he does not want to since he will be overwhelmed and hide, even more, give him time to adapt and he will surely be the one to go by your side. This time depends on each one, so it may take a few days or a few weeks.
- You can lure him with toys or treats and reward him when he gets close so he associates you with something good and sees that there is no danger.
- If your kitten is less than a month old or is a newborn cat, put it in a place where it cannot get out to prevent it from getting hurt or hit, since cats are born with their eyes closed. After 2 weeks or around a month, he will be the one who wants to go out and play and run.
- Caring for a two-month-old cat is usually simpler since, as we will explain later, it will eat almost all its food on its own.
How to feed a baby cat?
The feeding a baby cat It is one of the most important points to learn to care for a one-month-old or newborn cat, since its health and its strong growth will depend on it. So if you wonder what to give a baby cat keep reading carefully. As you know, puppies feed on milk until they are 2-3 months old and, from then on, you can gradually introduce other types of food.
- Before you start giving your cat milk, if it still needs it, you should know that under no circumstances should you give it cow’s milk, since it does not have the necessary nutrients and damages their stomachs, producing diarrhea and vomiting, especially in cats. newborn cats.
- The ideal is to buy milk for baby cats in powder format. This is special for them and is sold at pet stores or veterinarians. This milk should be at about 37 degrees and offered with a cat bottle or syringe.
- Depending on the age of the baby, it will have to be fed every three hours, decreasing the dose as it grows. When a baby cat is hungry, it usually meows in search of its food.
- After a month and a half-two months you can start to include feed in your diet. You can buy baby cat food and wet it with water so that it gets used to it, you can also offer it cans of wet cat food.
Here you can see more tips on How to feed a baby cat.
How to Teach a Baby Cat Routines?
There is no specific guideline for educate a baby cat, since these are more independent and, in general, more difficult to educate than dogs, but with effort and patience it can be achieved. The biggest advantage of adopting a baby cat is that it gets used to you and yours easily and, in addition, it generally learns routines more easily than an adult cat.
- One of the most important routines to teach him is to relieve himself in the litter box. You must take into account that the mother stimulates them by licking their parts so that they relieve themselves, you can do it by wetting a gauze pad with warm water and passing it over the area of the genitals and the anus.
- When he has done his business on his own, it will be time to show him the right area to do it in and, to do this, when you notice that he has done his business in the wrong place, the first thing you can do is take his stool and put it in the litter box. sand, the puppy will smell it and will go to relieve himself always in the same place. In addition, you can pick him up and put him in the litter box when you see that he has done his needs in the wrong place and gently take his legs and scratch the sand, so in the end he will learn that this is his place for these needs.
- If you want your cat to let you brush it, you can start doing it from a young age, you can gently brush it every day so that it sees that there is no danger and gets used to it. Before combing him, talk to him and show him the comb so that he gets used to it.
- Something similar will happen when bathing. Although it is not recommended to bathe cats unless it is of special importance, if you want your feline not to be afraid of water, this is the right time to do it. You can pour water little by little so that he sees that nothing happens and ends up getting used to it. Learn several tips on this topic with this other post about the question: Can baby cats be bathed?
In summary, if you want your kitten to get used to or learn anything, be patient and do many repetitions until they relate to it.
When to vaccinate a baby cat for the first time?
Another of the most important points about how to care for a baby or newborn cat is to consider vaccination. This is one vaccination schedule for catsbut you must always follow the one that your veterinarian indicates, because depending on the region it can change because, for example, there are diseases that are more present in some places and in others there are hardly any cases of contagion.
- Between 6 and 8 weeks, the first vaccine dose of feline parvovirus, herpesvirus and calicivirus diseases will be given.
- Three or five weeks after this first vaccination, it will be revaccinated.
- About 16 weeks will be vaccinated against feline leukemia.
- Three weeks after administering the leukemia, it will be revaccinated.
- At 6 months you can be vaccinated against rabies.
Finally, it is recommended to revaccinate annually or as your veterinarian tells you. We also recommend you read this other post about What are the mandatory vaccines for cats.
When to deworm a baby cat for the first time?
Get to know this other aspect for caring for a one month old or newborn cat, that is to say, of a few weeks, is as important as the vaccines, since it is necessary to avoid parasitism. Although, as you will see, it is not advisable to apply products to cats under 3 months, it will be the veterinarian who will indicate some deworming guidelines that you must follow to avoid parasite infestations. Also, these are some tips on deworming kittens:
- For cats less than three months old, it is not convenient to deworm them externally with the so-called pipettes, since it is toxic and harmful to their hair and skin.
- If it is necessary to deworm your feline puppy externally, the veterinarian will surely recommend a suitable spray for the little one until the pipette can be applied.
- Regarding internal deworming, it is recommended to start about a month and a half or two months later, with a dose at 3 weeks, another at 8 and finally at 3 and 4 months. Then you will only have to follow the deworming guidelines indicated by your veterinarian. We also advise you to see this other post about how often to deworm my cat.
Once your cat has got used to you and its new home, and after a month and a half or two months, it will be time to start its socialization. Undoubtedly, this is one of the most relevant aspects for take care of a baby catsince it will depend on this ability to relate good with other animals and people.
It is necessary that you relate your feline puppy with all kinds of people, animals and the environment in which it is going to live in order to avoid fearful, aggressive behaviors or any type of phobia. Normally baby cats are skittish, but they tend to gain confidence quickly. Follow these tips:
- For socializing a baby cat with other people it is important to leave him his space and that he approach by himself. You can use treats or toys to attract his attention, but always without overwhelming him. It is also important that you have a hiding place to hide when you feel insecure.
- If your goal is socialize baby cat with cats, the first thing you will have to do is introduce them delicately, without making a direct approach, let them be the ones to approach and each time they do, reward them and talk to them in a sweet voice, so they will finally get used to each other. If you see them very insecure, you can first let them sniff each other through the crack of a door or leaving one inside a carrier so that they can get closer and sniff but not hurt each other.
- The socialization of a kitten with a dog It can be more complicated, but it will be done in the same way as the previous one, just try not to make your dog be too rough with the little one and reward him when he does. It is very important that you pay attention to the first reactions to avoid serious damage. Thus, if you see that the dog is not capable of being with a cat without attacking, forget to join them and first you will have to go to a canine ethologist to solve it or else they will not be able to live together. Similarly, if the cat scares the dog too much, do not continue with the approach and ask an expert in ethology to help you achieve it.
When to take a baby cat to the vet?
we finished this guide on how to care for a baby or newborn cat commenting when to take him to the vet. Surely you notice when your cat has symptoms that warn of a problem because you see changes in his appearance or behavior that seem strange to you, but we also want to indicate that you do not hesitate to go to the vet when you notice any of these symptoms in your feline.
- Runny nose, sneezing, rheum or mucus in the eyes. To rule out some type of feline virus such as herpesvirus or calicivirus.
- If you hear constant meowing, make sure that all your feline’s needs are covered and inspect its body for any blow or wound, as frequent fluttering can indicate pain.
- If your little feline does not eat or you see that although he eats he does not gain weight or even lose it.
- If you notice diarrhea or vomiting.
- If you don’t urinate and/or don’t defecate.
- If you observe the very swollen abdomen.
- From 6-8 weeks you should go to your veterinarian for a first check-up and to start your vaccination and deworming plan.
If you want more information, here you can find more about When to take my cat to the vet. In conclusion, if you want to care for a newborn or baby cat properly, be very patient with all the aspects mentioned, since it has to learn everything it means to be a cat and what it is like to live in a house and also requires care like any other living being.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to take care of a baby cat we recommend that you enter our Pets category.
For more information on cats related articles simply visit our CatsBuz website.