How to train a puppy cat? Cats are said toHow To Train A Puppy Cat Like A Professional be very independent animals, however this does not mean that they do not need an education to guarantee a good relationship with their master. Remember that cats see you as an equal, so to get their attention you must give them a striking incentive for which they must obey, this will help them relate to their new environment. If you have a puppy at home and you don’t know how to train it, in OneHowTo we show you how to train a puppy cat.
How to train a puppy cat: Steps to follow
- Teach him to use the litter box, this will be the first point on how to train a puppy cat. Within their independence, cats also need privacy and especially when it comes to doing their business, so you should place the litter box in a secluded spot and easily accessible.
Use a sand that is comfortable, they generally prefer the odorless sand, but this depends on the taste of the cat. Place the cat inside the litter box after each meal and try to use one without a lid until he gets used to it, in this way he will associate that this is where he should go every time he needs to relieve himself. Do not forget to reward him when he has learned to use it and avoid scolding him if he does not succeed, otherwise you will create the opposite effect.
Finally, keep the litter box clean and do a deep cleaning at least once a week. In the event that your cat cannot use the litter box, you will use it as a last resort to separate it in a room until it gets used to it, if it returns to relieve itself on the floor, place them in the litter box so that it can associate it with the place where it should go.
2. Cats learn by playing. It is in this way that they learn that some acts can have consequences, for example in the case of biting, cats learn that there is a limit to biting while they are with their pack, if this has not been possible with your puppy, perhaps has a tendency to bite you, so you must mark a limit, but without hitting it, just give it a little pinch until it screeches, this way it will understand that it has caused pain.
Cats tire quickly so their attention when playing will not be too long, for this you should spend at least 15 minutes twice a day to play with your puppy. For this, use a brightly colored ribbon or a laser pointer so that the cat will chase it as well. In specialized stores you will find a toy that appeals to it.
3. Always have the same reaction. If you scold your cat in different ways, what you will do is create confusion, so you should always use the same word or phrase. On the other hand, if you are going to discipline him, do it immediately after the event occurred, in this way the cat will associate what he has just done with the punishment. If you let too much time pass between the action and the scolding, you will not be able to punish him, because he will not associate it with what he did an hour ago, but with what he is doing at that moment.
4. Provide a scratcher. Cats scratch things to file their nails and to mark their territory, to prevent it from damaging your furniture you should give it a scratcher and spray it with catnip, an herb that will get your cat excited for a few minutes, is also known as catnip. If you discover your cat scratching something, take it immediately to the scratching post, so that it can make the association.
Of course you must not forget cut their nails, especially if it is a cat that does not go outside, since these tend to grow faster. Additionally, give him a place to climb in this way he will have fun and you will prevent him from climbing on the countertops.
5. Respect their space. If a cat needs affection, it will let you know, so you should not force it, this will make it have a bad reaction and adopt a defensive posture. Likewise, if your cat bites or scratches, the ideal is to leave it in a room with the door closed for 5 minutes, within the next 20 minutes you should not feed or pet him. Another technique is to put water in a spray bottle and spray him with it when he does something that is not appropriate, however try to do it without him seeing you and that way he will not associate you with bad time.
6. The prize is very important. As we established at the beginning, cats need something that encourages them, since they do not do things simply to be generous or to please you, so you must ensure that your cat is interested in having a good behavior. Additionally, you must get the cat used to eating only its foodThis way you will prevent him from getting on the table every time you are eating or from starting to meow if you do not give him your food. So you should make sure that the treats you use to reward him are especially for cats.
7. Other tips you can follow to train a puppy cat are:
- Establish rules, if you have already decided that your cat should not climb on the beds, tell him that he should not do it without exceptions, because if you allow him once, he will not take you seriously.
- Never hit him, this will not benefit the trust between the cat and his master.
- Limit treats, as this can affect your cat’s weight considerably. In addition, they will no longer be an incentive for this.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to train a puppy cat we recommend that you enter our Pets category.
For more information on cats related articles simply visit our CatsBuz website.