That a cat makes sounds when breathing, leaving aside the possible normal snoring while they sleep, is not a good sign and should not be overlooked, since normally this symptom is the cause of a disease or problem and if it is not treated in time it can worsen until ending the life of the feline.
If your cat has this problem and you are wondering “Why does my cat make noise when breathing?“, you will be interested in continuing reading this OneHOWTO article, because here we tell you the causes, how to know if your cat really has breathing problems, what to do and when to take it to the vet.
Why Does My Cat Make Noise When Breathing?
If you are looking for the reasons Why does my cat make noise when breathing? Then, we have provided you with the reason, make sure to check them out.
Snoring and purring
Sometimes, we can appreciate a strange sound in the breathing of cats when they sleep, especially in a curled up position or supported in such a way that a part of their nose is covered. In these cases, it will simply be snoring or breathing that is somewhat forced by posture and there is nothing to worry about. We advise you to take a look at our article about the question: Is it normal for my cat to snore?
Also, if your question is “Why does my cat snore awake?“Maybe it’s simply due to the typical purr. Look at whether when producing the noise it comes only from the nose or throat or if it also comes from the chest and if it does it at times and you see it calm. In the latter case, it will be the purr, instead if he does it but you see him restless, that he has trouble breathing or he does it for a long time and it seems that it does not go away, you will have to call the veterinarian to check it, because it can be one of the problems that we will discuss later. To learn more about this sound, here is some information on Why Cats Purr.
If your doubt continues along the lines of “why is my cat breathing hard?”, that is to say that you hear it clearly and it is awake, before thinking that what it has is a serious pathology, you must take into account what is mentioned in the previous section and also that certain breeds of felines emit sounds when breathing that we can easily hear.
In fact, the noisy breathing in cats of brachycephalic breeds is a clear characteristic of these, since it is due to their anatomy and it is the form they have inherited. Thus, the brachycephalic cats they always have flat nose and narrow airways. Therefore, you do not have to worry if your cat is, for example, of the Persian breed, if he does not present any other worrying symptoms or if you see that he really tires easily. There is surgery so that your cat can breathe normally, but in most cases, this breathing does not cause such a serious problem for the feline that it is necessary to operate on it.
If you see that you cat has runny nose and breathes badlyone reason why your cat may produce strange sounds when breathing is the feline asthma or a respiratory pathology. Asthma in cats, in the same way as in humans, can originate spontaneously or as a reaction to substances found in the environment, such as pollen, dust, smoke, some scented cat litters, etc.
This causes the upper respiratory tract to become chronically inflamed (as long as the allergen is present in the cat’s environment), producing excess mucus in the bronchial tubes that the body tries to expel with episodes of coughing and breathing difficulties. For this reason, strange noises can be seen in the animal’s throat and chest.
Yes your cat makes a noise like it’s chokingit is possible that you are facing a pathology called rhinotracheitis. This is a disease of the respiratory tract that produces symptoms such as:
- Runny nose.
- Eye discharge.
- Lack of appetite.
- Gesture of breathing with the mouth open and tongue out to try to get as much oxygen in.
It is necessary go to the vet as soon as mild symptoms appear so that you can end the disease as soon as possible, because eye secretions can cause ulcers in the eyes and if the cat does not want to eat, it may become dehydrated and malnourished, so the problem will worsen. The vet can recommend fluid therapy, analgesics, antibiotics and whatever he considers necessary to end the infection as soon as possible. If your cat does not want to eat, it is better to offer him soft and warm food, such as chopped boiled chicken to make it more appetizing.
It is called pleural effusion a buildup of fluid between the space between the chest wall and the lungs. It can be due to various causes that reduce the space that the lung has to expand, preventing this vital organ from performing its function well. Some of the causes can be cardiac arrest, neoplasia, accumulation of pus in the pleural cavity…
can be seen weird sounds when cat breathes and especially when he pants, a gesture that in cats is not considered normal (in dogs it is when they are a little hot). Cats don’t usually pant, so if your cat does this you’d better go to the vet as soon as possible to rule out pathologies like this or detect it in time to treat it. If the problem for which your cat makes sounds when breathing is this, the veterinarian will be in charge of performing a puncture in the chest to extract all the free liquid that is in this space. We must not forget to find out and treat the cause that has produced this problem, since if only the liquid is removed but the cause is not treated, the space will most likely fill with liquid again.
Other causes for which a cat makes noises when breathing
Others causes why your cat makes strange sounds when breathing are the following:
- Foreign objects or bodies: When a foreign object gets stuck in your pet’s upper airway, strange breathing and sounds may occur. In addition, the cat may cough or sneeze with the intention of expelling the object. You can try to remove it very carefully only if you see it appear with the naked eye, but if it is too deep, it is better that the veterinarian be in charge of removing it to avoid possible damage. Some common objects are leaves and spikes.
- Heat: when temperatures are high, cats pant because of the heat they feel. In addition, rapid breathing and sometimes strange sounds may occur. The best thing is that you try that your pet is not exposed to high temperatures and that she has an area where she can cool off and rest in the shade, preventing your cat from suffering heat stroke.
After knowing the causes why a cat makes noise when breathing, we recommend you read these other OneHOWTO articles about Why my cat’s nose is dry and How to know if my cat has a sore throat.
My cat makes noise when breathing, do I have to take it to the vet?
How to help a cat with respiratory problems? It is necessary to learn to recognize when your cat’s life may be in danger and when not.
- If your cat makes noises when breathing when it sleeps or if it purrs, in principle, you should not be too scared if there are no other symptoms that may indicate a more serious problem.
- if you see your cat with open mouth and/or if you have runny nose or gaspsdon’t let it go and go to the vet so that you can rule out serious problems or detect them in time to treat the cat well so that it recovers.
- Also, if you notice that your cat gets blue tongue or mucous membranesdo not knock him down, keep him straight and upright and do not hesitate to go to the vet as quickly as possible, as this indicates that he is drowning and could die if you do not act very quickly.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why does my cat make noise when breathing?we recommend that you enter our Pets category.
For more information on cats related articles simply visit our CatsBuz website.